Saturday, March 7, 2009

Moments in time


We are about to purchase a new computer. This one has served us well but it doesn't have enough memory to install our Christmas present from Mom--a web cam for weekly Skypping. I'm in the process of sifting through digital photographs from the past six years. There are a handful of pictures that I don't want to lose so I'm walking through memory lane and attaching a handful on this blog. Take this one, for example...
Taken on the day of Kristin & Sam's Michigan wedding, it is the last shot of my family together. Two weeks later Dad went Home to Heaven. It's also the last picture that my Dad sent me in the mail. He was famous for insuring that every person featured in a particular picture had a copy (or three). The camera stores loved him for he would routinely order doubles, triples or even quadruples of every picture he took, even if it was of a squirrel, flower or rock.

You often wonder...would you want to know if something was your last? Last hug? Last conscious moment together? Last letter? Last message on a voice mail? I guess the unknown is why we need to treat each moment as a special moment. My Dad was good at that. He lived in the moment. He carried a peace, a contentment, a joy within him. He focused on whatever was at hand, not often getting distracted by busy-ness or what lay ahead. Dad loved life. He loved people. He never lost his sense of wonder. I hope that this is something I can successfully teach Jake.

No comments: