Saturday, May 8, 2010

Language Aquisition

A couple of months ago Jake started peppering his reponses and questions with "huh?" Jess and I looked at each other and theorized that he picked up this less than ideal interjection by listening to someone at his daycare. Every time I dropped Jake off or picked him up, I'd try to figure out which kid, or teacher, was the offender. Finally after two weeks I found the source:
DADDY. Yep, our very observant son studied his dad's language patterns and picked up something we hadn't even noticed. Once the discovery was made I noticed that Jess DOES say "huh?" several times a week. Fortunately, now Daddy is more aware and tries to filter this ugly sounding filler from his vocabulary. About a month after this discovery, Jake started saying, "I gotta" before doing anything. For example, I'd ask Jake to go to the potty and he'd respond with "I gotta play with my toys first." or "First, I gotta color." Obviously the delay in responding to my request was the first issue I had to address. Initially we thought the "gotta" was kind of cute. Then it grew old. And then I realized that Jake picked this quirk up from ME. Since then I've been more selective in my use of "gotta."

No comments: