Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Dancing in the rain

If you allow them, children change your perspective of the world.  Yesterday after dinner Jess noticed and commented on the eerie light outside.  I stepped out the front door, stood in the rain and took in the beauty of a golden sunlight shining through storm clouds.  Knowing that Jake would appreciate the loveliness of the outdoors, I got his attention and stepped out the back door.  Behind our yard a full rainbow stretched out.  Rainbows fill me with awe and a feeling of specialness, like it was created just for me.  Jake enjoyed the rainbow but was more interested in dancing in the rain.  Though he was half naked and it was cold, I allowed his playfulness to continue, though the mama voice within was loudly telling me to get that child inside and in the bathtub.  After a few moments he looked up at me and said, "Dance with me!"  Who could resist that?  So I stepped out of the warm doorway and proceeded to dance barefoot in the rain with my son.  Yes, we may both get colds in the next couple of days but those couple minute of joy will be worth it. 

No comments: